Instagram username: yannnieee

Friday, October 26, 2012

♡ Red Hair ♡



LET'S PAINT THE TOWN RED 













For a long time now I've been thinking about dyeing my hair red. I pretty sure I started thinking about this since last year. It's been almost a year that I wanted to dye it. But every time I'm literally just about to, I chicken out and dye it a safe colour. I love love loveee my brown hair. I think it looks natural, smokey, and sexy.... I always feel weird using describing words like that, by no means do I think I look sexy haha I just really liked my brown hair. I generally love my hair because it always seems to go to a nice brown. Last time I dyed my hair it was that pinky, redish, brown colour (if you don't remember or didn't see it, here is the link to the blog post I did http://myanyandeverything.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/my-hair-is-pink.html).  But my hair ended up changing to dark brown with lightish highlights which looked awesome. The natural highlights even made my regrowth look good. 

After being one colour for so long and being comfortable with it, it seemed hard to change. I was worried red wouldn't look good on me and I was worried that it would turn out differently than I wanted. I feared that the red might come out purple or orange or just a yucky red that didn't suit me. Also I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, it takes a lot of sass to rock red hair. Was I sassy enough? (Reference: WenWen). So thanks to apps on my phone, I was able to see what red hair would look on me. 
 

And I tried orangey red and blonde too just for fun haha I would never really dye it blonde
Anyway, I booked an appointment in for a haircut on the Monday. So on Monday, I was still contemplating dyeing my hair. I was so confused and indecisive. But after literally abusing all my friends about it, I decided to man up and just do it!
But before I did, I had to do another pre-test picture haha
So after getting it cut, the dyeing happened 
I think it looks nice and I'm super happy with it. It's different, vibrant and a super nice change. I guess I didn't know it but I was starting to get to comfortable and dull. I needed to spice things up and get a bit funky. I feel good about this. I honestly don't care if people don't like it. I love it. Plus when I get tired of it, the hair dresser mentioned that it will fade and when it does it'll go to a light brown colour, so that another change haha

So before dye my hair, I actually did a bit a research into red hair and the types that will look good for different skin types. I learnt that true red colours would not look good on medium skin types, but rather darker reds. Now I had intended to get a darker red and I thought that was what I was getting but it came out brighter than I thought. Oh well, I'm still happy with it. 
Another thing I learnt is that red hair is super hard to maintain. A few things online hair web sites recommended is that I don't wash my hair as often and when I do, I should stay away from harsh shampoos meaning my anti-dandruff head and shoulders shampoo. 
So in light of this I went out and bought a new shampoo to look after the colour a bit better.


That's right @WenWen, Herbal essence ;)

I think the only thing that I dislike about this hair colour is the fact that it is still washing away. When my hair was dyed, it wasn't bleached beforehand. The colour seemed to go on well in the salon however after waiting 24hrs before washing my hair, all the colour was coming off in the shower. Just red after red. I washed my hair thoroughly 2-3 times that night and every time it was washing out. My hair is still red so I think little by little it's gonna wash it all away. I think because my hair is originally black, it doesn't want to 'absorb' in the colour, it is literally rejecting it. Even after washing it tonight, all the shampoo bubbles was red. 
I got the hair cut and dye done at glams for a total price of $170 which isn't too bad considering the hair cut was $60 so dye cost $110. Worth it in my opinion because even though it isn't going to last long, I love it and I'm happy. Plus when it fades, it'll go to a light brown colour that I'm okay with and if it doesn't look okay, then at least by then it will be able to 'absorb' other colours better because it will be lighter.
I'll keep you updated on the fading-ness

Have a lovely weekend Monkey Icon love you all ♡

1 comment: