Instagram username: yannnieee

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Lush Haul and Revlon Lip Butter

After much deliberation and pestering from a friend, I have begun blogging. If figure what better way to kick start my new blogging life with a blog about my recent purchases that I'm instantly in love with. Lately I've been saving my money and only spending it on food or things that I actually need like concealer but only when I've run out and even then I try to settle for the cheap stuff. I probably haven't splurged for about 3-4 months now and that is actually a ridiculously long amount of time considering I usually splurge 1-2 times a week. I'm a bit of a shopaholic. So when I went out yesterday, I was on a mission to spend all my money haha.
The first store I went to was Lush and Lush is one of those amazing stores that I love/hate. LOVE: Everything is so unique and different. I love that their products have a wide range of scents, from zesty lemon to heavenly floral. Even the names of the products are funky which entice me and my wallet more. HATE: It's so overwhelming when you walk in and most of the times I leave confused. The fact that they have heaps of products is great as they are trying to suit all skin types and a wide range of customer needs. However for a newbie walking in for the first time, the large stock of products gets frustrating. Even though the staff are helpful and absolutely wonderful ever time I've been, it still gets confusing to distinguish which one does exactly what I want it to. A lot of products are similar to one another but come in different forms so that is another difficult thing to suss through. So there is a huge struggle in my brain when trying to decided what I should get. In the end my brain explodes and I leave the store with nothing but 30mins of wasted time.
This time I was prepared. I went in knowing what I wanted to look at and basically already knew what I was gonna buy. After seeing a girl on YouTube rave about aqua mirabilis and stating how it evens out the body's skin tone and lightens the dark colour of the armpits, I knew it was definitely worth checking out. My armpits are one of my biggest insecurity, mainly because of the strong odour it produces so easily even when I'm not sweating. The other reason is because of how dark the skin area is in my armpits. So hearing about a product that can help with one of my issues, I just had to try it.
Aqua mirabilis is a body butter scrub so not only does it remove dead skin cells, it also hydrates my skin. It contains ground almond shells, cocoa, and almond butter. It comes in the form of a solid square shape, similar to soap. Most scrubs that I've used previously come in either a shower gel or in free form. I really enjoy the fact that it's solid, it makes it so much easier to use and scrub my body with. When I use free form scrubs, they don't really do the job I want it to. But with the solid scrub, it really gets in there and my skins feels so smooth even after just one use. The girl who served me also told me that this would help with the little bumps you sometimes get on your arms and I get a lot of them. That would be another insecurity of mine that I struggle with. If I ever leave the house wearing a sleeveless top, I feel the need to watch where my arms are and insure I don't accidentally rub up against some and they would have the unpleasant feeling of gritty arms. So when she said that this product can help remove that, I jumped for joy ~ not literally but I did say instantly that I would purchase it. The scent of the product wasn't overly strong which I actually liked because I'm not a huge fragrance product person. I love using perfumes but for products I use on my body, face or hair, I like them to be unscented. Aqua mirabilis has a kind of subtle scent that I cant really describe, the only word that is coming to mind would be 'fresh', and it only slightly leaves the scent on my skin but not to a point where it bothers me which is perfect for me. Currently I am loving this body butter scrub and I've only used it once so I am most certainly going to continue to use this and let you know how my arms go.
The second product I looked at is called Ocean Salt. I instantly loved the zesty scent and it contains coconut, lime, grapefruit, sea salt in a fruity, vodka-based scrub. This was definitely a product my face wanted but not needed. I don't exactly remember what the girl said about this but I know it helps with oily skin, removes impurities and it brightens for a glowing complexion. I probably spent 10-15mins in the store debate to get this or this lettuce face mask I was looking at. The girl said that I should get both (I was thinking of course she'd want me to buy both haha) but if I could only get one, I should get the mask because it would help put all the natural and healthy oils back into my skin. I was going to get it plus it was a lot cheaper than the scrub. This is one of the instances where there was two products that do almost the same thing but one is cheaper and better for me but the other smells better and I wanted it more. In the end the deciding factor was that I have a lot of blackheads on my nose and the scrub would better suit that so I brought the scrub and I LOVE it. My shower smells soooo good. I used it last night and again this morning, even though you shouldnt over scrub I just HAD to use it again. The scent doesn't stay on my face which I'm totally fine with, I just like smelling it while I scrub. I don't know if it's the placebo effect but I feel like my complexion is brighter and glowing after the first use and second use. It definetely is smoother and softer, however T-zone is still extremely oily so I'm gonna keep using it 1-2 times a week and hopefully the oiliness will reduce within the month *fingers crossed*



Next thing I wanna talk about is the new Revlon lip butters. There is this huge hype about them so I wanted to check out what all the fuss was about. I figured since my Clinique chubby stick is basically depleted, I most definitely need a new lip colour product. These lip butters have been reviewed as basically like lipsticks with some of the colours being slightly sheer but buildable to opacness with a sheen like finish and are hydrating. They have been said to not be as hydrating as lip balms but are definitely more hydrating compared to other lipsticks.
In Australia this is usually about $22 but right now Myers is having their mid-season sale. So I snagged this for $17. Also check out Priceline since they are have a two for one Revlon lip and nail products sale. I unfortunately checked out one that had very few stock left for the lip butters and only had a tester left in the Strawberry Shortcake colour. 

This is a comparison of the Clinique Chubby stick and Revlon Lip butter. The top swatch is the 06 Woppin' Watermelon and the bottom one is 080 Strawberry Shortcake.
This is a comparison of the Clinique Chubby stick and Revlon Lip butter. The top swatch is the 06 Woppin' Watermelon and the bottom one is 080 Strawberry Shortcake.
The Chubby stick is definitely darker and more hydrating. The colour comes out really opac like a lip stick but lasting and application wise, its like a lip balm. I absolutely love this lip product and I will probably buy the same one again but I thought I should give other products a try too. I love it because of the fact that I can fool people into think that I'm using a lipstick and not get the yucky dried out lips effect after 1-2hrs of wear. I find that happens very often with lipsticks and I either resort to applying more lipstick or lip balm. The Revlon one is an amazing colour but like I said, it is more of a lipstick and I do end up getting the dried lips look. That being said, the dryness isn't as bad as normal lipsticks. It's not a bad lipstick and I do really like the colour, application, and lasting factor. Also, this lip butter smells nice. I didn't notice it when I was test trying it in store but when I first applied it at home, I realized it smelled of coconut. Bonus points for a nice scent :)
(*side note* the above pictures were edited using Instagram. Username is yan1093)

That is it for my first post. Thanks for reading and I'll keep you updated on the progress of the all products :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment